Friday 10 September 2010

David Hockney BBC Four 26th July 2010


Whilst watching a documentary called 'David Hockney', I discovered yet another artist whom I am now fascinated by, yes! the man himself David Hockney...Picasso is another artist for whom art is an extention of oneself...I really began to study him in my second year therefore he is now yet another favourite artist of mine...






The principles of the moving forms:
The Chinese believe that the hand, eye and the heart are three main points of the above

David Hockney (2010) BBC 4 Television, 26th
July 2010.


Digital David

Art icon David Hockney has ditched traditional painting for the digital paint brush. Describing the new technique as “fantastic,” Hockney’s latest portrait and landscape work has been composed entirely by computer.

Previously software has given art an obviously computer generated look. Here, however, Hockney acknowledges “you can get incredibly subtle effects.” Although he recognises that physical texture is lost he emphasises that “the gain is speed, with colour that’s quite unusual.”

It seems Hockney is not the only one to have been seduced by the new style. Hans Ulrich Obrist, the co-director of exhibitions and programmes at the Serpentine Gallery, claimed he had never seen anything like it. “At first I thought it was a painting. The more I examined it, the more I wasn’t sure.”

Hockney’s limited print outs will be going for £7,000-£20,000 each (a snip of the usual seven figured price it can normally fetch for.)

Downloadable art- a new phenomenon or just another step towards wiping out tradition…


In his doc David Hockney made quite a few important points that I felt I should share and possibly incorporate into my art dissertation and my practical double art module.

'I'm to active to be reflective...I'm still thinking...I'm still in Art.
David Hockney (2010)


'High Tech...Low Tech...Post Photographic Age...Pixelated'.
David Hockney (2010)


The Handbook UK Limited (2010) Digital David
Available at:
http://www.thehandbook.co.uk/blog/index.php/archive/digital-david/
(Accessed:10 September 2010).


Creative Boom (2010) David Hockney meets the artsmix Art Market
Available at: http://www.creativeboom.co.uk/leeds/2010/07/07/david-hockey-meets-the-artsmix-art-market/
(Accessed: 10 Sep 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment